The Purdue Global Academic Success Center (ASC) delivers outstanding tutoring services and resources across six essential academic areas: writing, math, science, technology, business, and learning for success.
ASC tutors offer one-on-one, synchronous, drop-in live tutoring; scheduled, asynchronous Q&A, paper and project review, and Writing Center video review; and live webinars that are recorded and archived for independent viewing.
ASC learning resources in the form of articles, podcasts, and videos are available on the ASC websites in PG campus (password required), the PG library (public), and the AskAsc Youtube channel (public). The Writing Center Blog additionally supports learning and teaching writing across the curriculum and globe.
Welcome to the Academic Success Center!
ACADEMIC SUCCESS CENTER TRAINING MODULES
UNIT 1: OUR ROLE, STUDENTS, AND ETHICS
The videos in Unit 1 introduce tutors to their role, the students they serve, and the ethics they must follow.
Objectives of Unit 1
- Understand the history, goals, and expectations of tutoring.
- Understand the difference between being a tutor and being a teacher.
- Understand the nature of online tutoring
- Understand the needs of adult and nontraditional learners.
- Understand the ethics of tutoring.
Unit 1, Section 1: The Tutoring Role
Unit 1, Section 2: Online and Adult Learners
Unit 1, Section 3: Tutoring Ethics
Read the National Tutoring Association Code of Ethics here.
Purdue Global Tutors, log in for readings, quiz, and discussion.
UNIT 2: STRUCTURING A TUTORING SESSION
The videos in Unit 2 explain the goal setting and structure of a tutoring session including how to begin and end a session.
Objectives of Unit 2
- Understand how to effectively structure a tutoring session.
- Learn to begin and end a session to maximize student learning.
- Understand how to set goals for individual learners.
Unit 2, Sections 1 and 2: Conducting and Structuring Effective Tutoring Sessions
Unit 2, Sections 3 and 4: Setting Goals and Ending a Tutoring Session
Purdue Global Tutors, log in to take Unit 2 Quiz and join discussion.
UNIT 3: CLEAR COMMUNICATION, FEEDBACK, QUESTIONING, LISTENING, AND CONFLICT RESOLUTION
The videos in Unit 3 cover important strategies for effective tutoring including how to clearly communicate and question, listen and provide feedback, and resolve conflicts that may occur during a tutoring session.
Objectives of Unit 3
- Understand clear and effective communication in an online tutoring setting.
- Understand how different types of questions affect tutoring session outcomes.
- Practice skills of effectively giving feedback and of listening for positive tutoring sessions.
Unit 3, Section 1: Clear Communication
Unit 3, Section 2: Questions for Effective Tutoring
Unit 3, Section 3: The Language of Feedback
Unit 3, Section 4: Active Listening
Read “Effective Listening, More than Just Hearing” (Schnell, 1995) here.
Unit 3, Section 5: Conflict Resolution
Purdue Global Tutors, log in to take Unit 3 Quiz and join discussion.
UNIT 4: UNDERSTANDING DIVERSITY AND NAVIGATING CHALLENGES
The videos in Unit 4 address various issues related to diverse student competencies with English and technology and diverse learning atmospheres, emotional well-being, and learning disabilities.
Objectives of Unit 4
- Understand the types of issues that arise during tutoring sessions due to diverse learners.
- Understand how to problem solve and appropriately respond.
- Understand when to contact Disability Services or report issues to management.
Unit 4, Sections 1 and 2: Atmosphere Challenges and Diverse Technical Competencies
Unit 4, Section 3: Attitude Challenges
Unit 4, Section 4: Cultural Diversity and Emotional Issues
Unit 4, Section 5: Navigating Learning Challenges, English Language Learning, and Neurodiversity
Read “The Believing Game–Methodological Believing” (Elbow, 2008) here.
Purdue Global Tutors, log in to take Unit 4 Quiz and join discussion.
This is a Purdue Global Academic Success Center (ASC) website, developed and maintained by the ASC and the Center for Teaching and Learning.
Amy Sexton, MSEd
Lead Specialist, Academic Success
Chrissine Cairns, MA
Learning & Development Specialist, Teaching & Learning
Abbe Breiter, MS RD
Lead Specialist, Academic Success
The Purdue Global Academic Success Center (ASC) has a team of over 80 tutors across five academic centers. Tutors have master and doctorate degrees and experience in the classroom and the workplace. To contact us, email email@example.com